Pumpkin and cashew pie, with lemon, date and hemp cream
Traditionally, made by steaming the pumpkin then blending with evaporated milk, eggs, cinnamon, a little nutmeg and allspice then baked in a short crust pastry base.
In this dish whole ground hemp seed will add a nutty crunch to the base and the shelled will add richness to the filling or cream.
Ingredients for the filling (enough for 6-8)
- 1kg pumpkin
- 20-50 grams shelled (optional)
- 100-150 grams sunflower seed~ soaked
- 50 grams of pumpkin seeds for decorating the top
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 200ml rice/soya milk alternative
- 2 desertspoons of honey
- The oven should be heated to 170 degrees c
Ingredients for the base
- 300 grams mixture of sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds or walnuts (A biscuit or two is good to give a little sweetness to the base)
- 25 grams whole hemp seed~ finely ground
- 100 grams of butter or alternative
- 1 x 6-8-portion flan dish, oiled or buttered
- 1 small saucepan
- Soak the sunflower seeds for the filling and grind the hemp seeds for the base
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges making it simpler to peel. A large vegetable knife works best to pare off the skin, and then cut into smaller pieces. Steam for about 13-15 minutes until soft.
- Prepare the base by melting the butter/alternative in the pan, finely blend or grind your selection of seeds and nuts and add them with the hemp seeds to the melted butter and combine thoroughly together.
- Press into the bottom of flan dish about 1/2 inch (1cm) deep leaving the sides free, patting it down firmly and evenly with a spatula or flat spoon.
- Once the pumpkin is tender place it in the blender with the rice/soya milk and pulse for 20-30 seconds. Add the drained sunflower seeds, cashews and spices, pulsing several times until smooth, scraping down the sides each time.
- Check seasoning then pour into the base, smoothing out the mix with your spoon. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds evenly on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until it starts to leave the sides of the dish.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Cashew, lemon, hemp and date cream
- 80 grams each cashews and sunflower seed
- 25-30 grams of shelled hemp seed (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 glass of wine
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 10-pitted dates
- 250 ml soya/rice milk/juice
- Soak the cashew and sunflower seeds in water, cover the dates with the wine, lemon zest and juice, leave them to stand for about an hour.
- Place the drained sunflower seeds in the blender with a half the milk/alternative and pulse until smooth.
- Add the dates and their liquid, nuts and if appropriate shelled hemp seed and add the remaining liquid. Pulse several times until you have a fine thick cream.
- Pour into a suitable bowl and refrigerating until required.
Can be used to accompany any dessert or pudding.
Will keep covered and refrigerated overnight and can be used for dessert the next day.
back to Dessert recipe list